Hooray! Happy day! My space dinosaur story is done!
Well, the first draft is. It will need some work, like most first drafts do. But structurally it’s in pretty good shape, which is frankly a miracle because pacing is not generally one of my strong suits.
I started this draft in November of 2014 (which is the last time I did a real Nanowrimo) and successfully got my 50K for the year, and then the poor thing languished. I like to try new things for Nano projects, and I tried a new structural technique for this story (which has worked excellently, and I have used for later drafts/revisions of other stories) as well as a new chapter structure (un-numbered, labeled by character name, rotating through three viewpoint characters).
After Nano 2014, I went on to revise my YA paranormal–which needs some more tweaking, and I need to do that soon–then briefly returned to the space dinosaur story in the spring of 2015 before getting distracted by, oh, producing offspring and taking the rest of the year off to write short stories.
Then there was City of Hope and Ruin and the revision for book one of my trilogy which took for freaking ever, and then I finally got back to it earlier this year, though I have taken breaks to work on various anthologies and other projects that have actual due dates.
But it is done! How glorious!
Of course, now the revising process starts. I’ll need to find some betas, and go through and make my own notes, and so forth. But that’s for later. I might start gathering betas now, though, with the thought of getting feedback returned early next year.
For my next project, I think I’ll work on my landsquid books. These are going to be picture books, in theory, so we’ll see how they go. Last time I tried a picture book it didn’t get very far, but I’ve done more research this time, so hopefully it will go better. Plus I know Landsquid. I’ve been using him here at the blog for eight years.
Anyway! I’m quite pleased and very happy. See you guys next week!